Become a Virtual Mentor
Future Ready Iowa Virtual Mentoring is a statewide networking and professional development opportunity that connects students pursuing careers in high-demand fields with professionals in the workforce. It was developed to support the success of the Future Ready Iowa Grant and Last-Dollar Scholarship programs, moving Iowa toward its goal of ensuring that 70 percent of the workforce has education or training beyond high school by 2025.
Eligible students include recipients of the Future Ready Iowa Grant or Last-Dollar Scholarship, who are pursuing programs of study at an Iowa community college, accredited private college, or university. Through engaging in this career mentoring program, students will establish meaningful career connections and strengthen their job readiness skills.
Share your experience with a student and help shape theirs.
How It Works
- Mentoring is delivered online through video call and messaging. Meeting in person is also encouraged.
- The mentoring relationship can be short or long-term. Students and mentors can engage through graduation and job placement or even connect briefly in preparation for an interview or next steps beyond graduation.
- The average time commitment is 1 hour/month.
- Matching is based on career goals, barriers, and identity, among other factors.
- Activities are unique to each pair but do include resume review and practice in the areas of mock interviewing, networking and professional development.
Reasons to Volunteer as a Mentor
- DEMONSTRATE your commitment to your field
- DEVELOP and attract new talent
- SHARE your knowledge, connections, and experience
- GUIDE a student in developing their skills and goals
- CHANGE a student's life (and possibly your own)