Become a Virtual Mentor
Future Ready Iowa Virtual Mentoring is a statewide networking and professional development opportunity that connects students pursuing careers in high-demand fields with professionals in the workforce. It was developed to support the success of the Future Ready Iowa Grant and Last-Dollar Scholarship programs, moving Iowa toward its goal of ensuring that 70 percent of the workforce has education or training beyond high school by 2025.
Eligible students include recipients of the Future Ready Iowa Grant or Last-Dollar Scholarship, who are pursuing programs of study at an Iowa community college, accredited private college, or university. Through engaging in this career mentoring program, students will establish meaningful career connections and strengthen their job readiness skills.
This is an opportunity to share your experience with a student and help shape theirs.
How It Works
- Students are matched with mentors based on their career goals and personal/professional experience.
- Mentoring activities and virtual meetings are delivered via video call (works like Google Meet), and the software is compatible with Android and iOS apps.
- The average time commitment is 1 hour/month.
- The length of the mentoring relationship is unique to each pair. You could agree to meet through the end of the first term (e.g., May 2021), graduation/program completion, or job placement.
Reasons to Volunteer as a Mentor
- DEMONSTRATE your commitment to your field
- SHARE your knowledge, connections, and experience
- GUIDE a student in developing their skills and goals
- CHANGE a student's life (and possibly your own)